“Black and Gold” Blended Model to Begin Tuesday, September 8, 2020 in St. Helena Parish
We are excited to announce that St. Helena Parish School District will begin its “Black and Gold” Blended Model beginning Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Please review the following information so you can properly prepare you student for their return.
What will happen during the first week?
We will have a staggered start when our students return, as shown below. Time will be spent with each grade level to review the new health/safety protocols and take Benchmark Assessments to determine their academic levels. Each school will provide information regarding the “Black and Gold” Blended Model groups, class assignments, and other important matters.
School hours will return to normal (8:00am – 3:00pm).
What happens after the first week?
We will begin the “Black and Gold” Blended Model. This weekly rotating schedule will start with the “Black Group” Monday, September 14th while the “Gold Group” will remain at home. The “Gold Group” will begin the following week while the “Black Group” remains home. Siblings will be assigned to the same group.
The group that will be at home will participate in their classes via eLearning. The schedule for the month of September is below.
Full-Time eLearning Students
There were 242 students who selected the Full-Time eLearning Model (100% virtual). They will continue learning from home. An adjusted Daily Schedule will be provided that will reflect the regular school time (8:00am – 3:00pm). Any parent wishing to change their child’s placement must do so at the end of the first nine-week period. The window to change placement will be October 5-9, 2020. No exceptions will be made.
If a parent did not select Full-Time eLearning, their student was automatically placed in the “Black and Gold” Blended Model.
Please adhere to the following district-wide expectations. Each school will also have their own expectations that are more detailed than the ones listed below:
- Mics off, Cameras On – all microphones must be muted to prevent background noises from interfering with instruction. Cameras must be on so the teacher can see that students are present and participating in the lessons.
- Dress Appropriately - while we do not expect students to wear their school uniforms during eLearning classes, we do expect them to dress appropriately. Hair bonnets, hats, tank tops, and other sleeveless shirts are prohibited.
- Quiet Workspace – students should sit in a quiet space in their homes to avoid distractions.
- Remain in the Class – students are to remain logged into their classes until the end of the session. Attendance will be recorded. Technology issues must be reported immediately to the teacher.
- Submit Assignments on Time – all assignments must be submitted before or on the due date assigned by the teacher. Failure to do so will result in a failing grade.
- Remain Attentive – all students must remain attentive during class, be respectful, and follow all classroom routines, procedures, and rules. Proper behavior and interaction online are necessary. All classes will be recorded.
- Check your Emails – respond to any teacher email or question on assignments within 24 hours, Monday – Friday.
- Bus Riders - Students riding the bus will have their temperature checked before boarding and must sit in a designated seat to ensure proper social distancing to the greatest extent possible.
- Car Riders – This mode of transportation is highly encouraged to help reduce the number of bus riders. Car riders must remain in their vehicle until their temperature is checked.
St. Helena Parish School District launched an innovative transportation solution, BusView, for our school buses which provides the following:
- GPS tracking for buses
- Student monitoring via Student RFID cards
- Provides parents real-time student transportation details
- Supporting ParentView app
BusView monitors bus location, speed, turns and other key bus metrics, as well as where / when students board and exit buses in real-time. This enables us to closely monitor buses to know where they are along routes and to proactively respond to all transportation issues. It also provides peace of mind for parents, as no more worrying if your kids made it on the correct bus or got off at the correct stops.
There is also a free app for parents, which enables parents to see when their child boards and exits buses with time and location stamps. Parents will be able to request bus changes or schedule parent pick-up for their child(ren). Plus, when buses travel out-of-town (sports, field trips, etc.), parents can receive push notifications via the ParentView app to get approximate return-time notifications.
ParentView is very user-friendly and is available in English and Spanish. To download the free app please go here:
Once you’ve downloaded the app on your phone, you will be prompted to register with St. Helena Parish School District. Please provide the following information when registering (if you have multiple children riding buses, please click Add-Children to register each child):
- Your child’s school campus
- Student ID Number
- Date of Birth · 4 Digit Code – (IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH THIS CODE PLEASE EMAIL Transportation@sthpk- 12.net TO REQUEST YOUR CODE(S)
Please contact the Transportation Department via email at Transportation@sthpk-12.net if you have any questions.
Meals will continue to be delivered by bus every Tuesday and Thursday to student who are home. This includes eLearning students and "Black and Gold" groups. If you have not completed the Consent Form to have meals delivered, please do so as soon as possible. All forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Helena Parish is a 2:1 school district. As such, students must keep their district-issued Chrome Books at home. A laptop will be available for them at school.
Students with Exceptional Needs
In order to ensure equitable learning for our exceptional students (individuals with an IEP), they will be allowed to report to school every day. This does not include gifted or talented students.
2020-2021 School Year Calendar
The school year calendar is located on our District App and website at www.sthpk-12.net.
All students must report to school in their proper uniform.
Thank you for understanding the importance of keeping everyone healthy and safe during this unprecedented time. We will continue to keep everyone updated as things progress. If you have any questions or concerns please email us at email@example.com.